Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Carmine Jewel Cherry plant

The Bing cherry owes its development to the Ch...
The Bing cherry owes its development to the Chinese-American horticulturalist Ah Bing. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I am growing a Carmine Jewel Cherry bush in a 30 gallon Smart Pot on my porch.  It just flowered for the first time so I may get some cherries this year.  The plant is hardy up to zone 2b or it never would have survived the over wintering in a pot.  Gurney Seed and Nursery company is one place that sells the Carmine Jewel Cherry and I think it is an excellent plant.  I love cherries and I can't seem to kill this plant even with my best efforts.  I believe that Gurney guarantees its plants for life anyways.

The Smart Pot is a good product also.  It is basically a very tough fabric pot that stands alone when filled with potting mix or soil.  It is inexpensive compared to any standard pot and you can fold it up for storage when not in use.  It is possible to machine wash it to avoid cross contamination between plants when planting something new that is sensitive.  The extreme cost savings for the large pots are what originally attracted me to the Smart Pots.  These pots are an easy way to grow small fruits and large vegetables in a container.  They air prune the roots automatically which produces a better root system and plant.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

My primary blog is glennsellnow.wordpress.com .