Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Original Kindle first gen still alive and kicking.......................

English: Third generation Amazon Kindle
English: Third generation Amazon Kindle (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

I still have an Amazon Kindle first generation that works just fine.  It has taken unbelievable abuse from me.  I have dropped it, frozen it by leaving it in the garage and stepped on it.  I even still use it garage reading and for listening to the live rebroadcast on the internet of the Washington County emergency band while I am in the garage.  I hook it up to some ancient Bose speakers and it fills my garage with police, fire and emergency internet broadcasts.  Police can really have some good dry humor in their voices when they get the strange calls from dispatch and I have enjoyed a few chuckles from listening.  Its nice to know what is happening in real time around you.  Its almost as good as having a police band scanner.  In fact, its better because the price is right.

I also have a better later model Kindle Fire that I use in the house for my main tablet enjoyment.  Amazon Prime really adds a lot of free content to the Kindle Fires.  Fortunately I got three years of Amazon Prime for free when we signed up for our cell phones long ago.  Its too bad the older models I have can't be made to directly access the Google Play store like the latest models but Amazon has a pretty good App store.  The Amazon Underground is also a good deal because it offers a lot of actually free apps if you catch them while they are free.

True story and unrelated attempt at religious humor:

I was in a gas station on Center street in Milwaukee paying my bill to a nice middle age Hindu lady. Three missionaries of another religious persuasion were trying to get her to read their literature and display it in the store.  They were being very pushy and were not allowing her to provide me with service by accepting my payment.  I could tell they had been there for some time and they just weren't letting me pay.  She winked at me and then told them them that she couldn't display their literature without reading it first.  They handed her a copy to look at and she said "I am sorry but I can only read Hindi" then she handed it back to them. This really upset them and I heard them making phone calls as I left trying to get a Hindi translation of their magazine but it sounded like an up hill battle. That lady became one of my heroes that day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My primary blog is glennsellnow.wordpress.com .