Friday, July 11, 2014

I never liked Iron Infusions......

English: Illustration of the pain pathway in R...
English: Illustration of the pain pathway in René Descartes' Traite de l'homme (Treatise of Man) 1664. The long fiber running from the foot to the cavity in the head is pulled by the heat and releases a fluid that makes the muscles contract. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
There are worse things than iron infusions but I just do not like iron infusions. They can never find my blood vein so they always have to stick me multiple times. If they run it into me too fast, I experience a new kind of pain that I never knew existed so I always tell them to run it slow. Sometimes they bring you food while you are sitting there but I always feel sick when I eat it. When they are done, they flush the lines with saline which isn't supposed to hurt but it causes me extreme pain. The nurses look so surprised when my entire body jerks. They give me an extra shot at the end which is supposed to increase my count. They always warn me that the shot will hurt but it is the least painful part of the experience. Finally, it is time to go home until the next iron infusion the following week. 

I must admit that sometimes the procedure works better than other times. I do not know if this is because I am better hydrated or the nurse is more skillful. I think it is a combination of the two. They seem to send in their "A team" when I show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My primary blog is glennsellnow.wordpress.com .